Monday, August 12, 2013

WHO AM I TO JUDGE?


   Ruth Marcus, Washington Post Columnist, writes that a society which is less inclined to moral judgments is, for the most part, a happy development. She believes when one takes the position: "Who Am I Too Judge," it's a good thing for society.

   I think she's wrong! Oops....that's a moral judgment!

   Marcus is responding to the Pope's recent foray into the world of political correctness, to wit: His comments regarding the sexual proclivities of practicing Catholics.

   The pope believes, as long as the person 'searches for The Lord and has good will, what he or she does in the bedroom is none of his business. "Who am I to judge?"

   One can only wonder what the next Papal Bull will be about. It seems to me that these are largely judgmental statements about a host of subjects. Of course, they are spoken 'ex cathedra,' meaning they are authoritative and infallible.

   An infallible judgment is different from an ordinary judgment? Am I being judgmental to say thievery is wrong or dangerous to society? Am I judgmental to say lying is a bad thing? Or am I simply making a moral observation?

   A "happy development" in terms of a society would seem to be a good thing for the society at at large. Is that true of homosexual behavior? Ruth Marcus seems to think it is.

   Isn't that just another judgment? Is your opinion about this a judgment? Am I judging you, now? This is all too confusing for me! 

No comments: